Volunteer to help increase fresh food access in your neighborhood.
Farmers’ Market Brigade volunteers help distribute Produce Plus checks at participating neighborhood farmers’ markets in DC. Through the Produce Plus program, DC residents who receive SNAP, WIC, Medicaid, Medicare QMB, TANF, Grocery Plus (Senior CSFP), or SSI Disability can receive $10 twice per week to spend on fresh fruits and vegetables.
In 2017, 9,453 District residents participated in the Produce Plus Program with the help of 285 Farmers’ Market Brigade Volunteers. Volunteers are a vital part of the program and will help distribute Produce Plus checks at over 30 neighborhood farmers’ markets between June and September in 2018.
If you are passionate about fresh food and wish to be an active community member in your neighborhood, then we need your help! As a volunteer, you will:
- Attend one, 2-hour volunteer training session (sign up below!)
- Commit to 5 volunteer market shifts (or more!) between June and September (2-4 hours each)
- Distribute Produce Plus checks at participating farmers’ markets
- Provide excellent customer service and care to all farmers’ market customers
2018 Farmers' Market Brigade Trainings
All volunteers are required to attend a two-hour training session to help distribute Produce Plus checks at D.C. farmers' markets. Please click on the training dates below to register.
Note: If you are no longer able to attend a training, please cancel your registration or let Mary Alice (email@example.com) know as soon as possible so other individuals can sign up for your slot.
- Training for Returning Volunteers Only - Thursday, April 26th 6:00 - 8:00 PM (Dupont Circle)
- Thursday May 3rd, 6:00-8:00 PM (Dupont Circle)
- Wednesday, May 9th 6:30-8:30 PM (Benning Road Library)
- Monday, May 14th 6:00-8:00 PM (Dupont Circle)
- Wednesday, May 16th 6:00-8:00 PM (First Church, Downtown DC)
- Wednesday, May 23rd 6:00-8:00 PM (Bellevue Neighborhood, Ward 8)
- Tuesday, May 29th 6:00-8:00 PM (Dupont Circle)
- Wednesday, May 30th 4:00-6:00 PM (LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale)
- More training dates and locations to be added soon!
Would you like to host a volunteer training at your church or workplace? Let us know! We are available to host trainings for up to 25 individuals. Rooms must have at least one outlet and a wall for a projector. Contact Mary Alice (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule a training today.
Questions about volunteering with the Farmers’ Market Brigade? Email Mary Alice Reilly at email@example.com or find more information on our Frequently Asked Questions about the Brigade page.
Produce Plus check distribution will begin on June 1, 2018 and end September 30, 2018.
Multi-year Farmers’ Market Brigade volunteer Lorna Fleming says "I think it's fun to meet new people and go new places! I keep an open mind because we're all in this situation together and who knows what a smile will spark up in others."
And Adrienne Dove thinks "We need to volunteer in our communities and ask our neighbors to help! You never know who you might meet and the connections that might make. I like to take time to share joy and enthusiasm with others!"
Juanita Blassingame says “I enjoy meeting [Produce Plus] customers and being able to help them meet some of their nutrition needs. DC Greens has provided well trained and people-focused volunteers, as well as a very supportive and cooperative environment for working with the Farmers’ Market Managers.”
Indra Books says “I love working with our customers and helping them get access to more fresh food. They are as invested in us as we are in them because we get to know our customers at the Petworth Community Market.”